Media player is a software used to play Audio, Video, Photos etc. All versions of Microsoft windows have inbuilt media player “Windows Media Player”.
Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center are great media players and probably you do not need any other player. But there are many free light weight alternative. Below is list of 5 great free media players that you can use as alternative to default windows media player.
- VLC Media Player: VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols.
- Appke iTunes: iTunes is a free media player for Mac or PC by Apple. It lets you organize and play digital music and video on your computer. It can automatically download new music, app, and book purchases across all your devices and computers. And it’s a store that has everything you need to be entertained.
- Media Player Classic Home Cinema: The player supports all common video, audio and image file formats available as well as video playback.
- UMPlayer: UMPlayer is the media player that fills all your needs. With dozens of advanced features and built-in codecs it can handle any media format, and can play Audio CDs, DVDs, (S)VCDs, TV / Radio cards, YouTube™ and SHOUTcast™ streams and even incomplete or damaged media files.
- GOM Media Player Features: GOM Media Player comes equipped with all of the most popular video codecs (XviD, DivX, FLV1, OGG, MP4, H263 and more) by default, so downloading and installing extras is rarely necessary. For those videos that do require a separate codec, GOM Media Player will find one and direct you to a place where you can download an open source version.