Its true that you cannot monitor your websites 24 X 7 and make sure your website is UP. You have to be dependent on your host to monitor the server and make sure everything is normal.
But you can monitor your website from your end and absolutely free. There are few free services that will continuously (at regular interval) check your website and alert you via mail / SMS when your website goes down. They will also send you report of your website performance at end of every month / week.
You can try any of the following free service to monitor your website.
- Host-Tracker: The free package let you can monitor two websites. Website monitoring interval is 30 minutes. It will also send you Weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly reports of websites performance. Notification is sent via mail.
- Montastic: Montastic monitors your sites and alert you when your website goes down and when your website is UP again. Notification is sent via mail. Website monitoring interval is 30 minutes.
- Mon.itor.us: It offers all-in-one web server monitoring service. You can monitor unlimited number of websites. Monitoring is done from two location US and EU. Monitoring interval is 30 minutes.
- SiteUptime: SiteUptime is a website monitoring service that checks your website at regular intervals and notifies you via email if it becomes unavailable. In free plan you can monitor one website, and monitoring interval is 30 minutes. They will also send you monthly report of your website performance.
- Pingdom: The free Pingdom account lets you monitor one website or server and includes 20 free SMS alerts and unlimited Email alerts.
- Site24x7: It is an easy, fast and effective web server monitoring, server monitoring and website monitoring service. In free account you can monitor one websites, and monitoring interval is 60 minutes.
- InternetSeer: The free standard plan offer one website and website monitored frequency is 60 minutes. Notification is sent via mail and a weekly report is also sent.